These crispy baked spring rolls with chicken and spinach dipped in some soy sauce (gluten free of course), they hit all the right spots! I love spring rolls so so much. With dinners like shrimp fried rice or stir fry noodles, these spring rolls are the best addition! The best part though is that they are made with rice paper- aka gluten free crispy goodness.
When we went gluten free in May, 2019 for my 3 year old it was a super big change in our house. So finding things that we loved previously that we could still eat now was really really nice. It definitely made the change a little easier to focus on the good things we could eat instead of the things we had to get rid of. Honestly going gluten free has been a great thing in our house. It’s challenging the way we cook, the ingredients we use, and it’s definitely making us healthier.
Rice paper is wonderful. It’s cheap and we still haven’t finished the pack of rice paper I got last time I went shopping and we have made a few batches of spring rolls. I love that these are baked spring rolls, not fried, and so easy to put together as well.
Let’s talk Soy Sauce. I did not know that soy sauce had wheat in it., but I realized when I was making a meal (fried rice- you know it 😉 and I happened to glance at the ingredients. I had to just eat that meal myself over the week since I could not give it to my 3 year old. Now, of course, I have to get the gluten free soy sauce and the same goes for Worcestershire sauce. Check your sauces people!
Gluten free soy sauce is actually called Tamari and it’s a traditionally gluten free brew of soy sauce. It’s actually becoming more and more popular. I am relieved that we live in a time where gluten free options exist everywhere for people like us who need it, right?
Making Homemade Spring Rolls
So making these little guys is super easy. Shred the chicken, slightly saute the spinach in a pan with a little olive oil, mix everything together in bowl. This filling is delicious, let me tell you! I ate it from the bowl with a spoon. No shame.
Wrapping these up with the sticky, wet rice paper is the slightly tricky part but after the first one you get the hang of it. Think of wrapping a burrito.
In a bowl of water, place the hard rice paper in the water completely only for a second, just to get it wet. Place about a tablespoon or 2 of filling a little to the side of center. Fold the edge of the rice paper over and roll once, then bring each side in. Continue to roll nice and tightly until it is closed all the way. This may take a few tries but honestly, they don’t have to look perfect. They just have to taste great and you’ve got that covered 😉
Once they’re all rolled up, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush them with some olive oil. Bake at 400 for about 25-30 minutes until golden and crispy and dip them in some gluten free soy sauce!
Tag us on instagram @cradlekitchen and give us a rating and review right here in the comments! And don’t forget to pin and save it for next time 😉
- Rice Paper for Spring Rolls
- 2-3 Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup Spinach
- 1 cup Shredded Carrot, about 2 carrots
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves , minced
- 1 Tbsp Gluten Free Worcestershire Sauce, (make sure it's gluten free if you need that)
- 1 Tbsp Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Green Onions, diced
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- In a pan, cook the chicken breasts until fully cooked through and then shred them up.
- Add the spinach to the pan with the shredded chicken and cook on medium-low heat until the spinach is wilted.
- Transfer the chicken and spinach to a bowl and mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Get a shallow pan or bowl of water wide enough to dunk the rice paper rounds in for a second or 2 just to get them wet. They will become more sticky and pliable a few seconds after getting wet so don't hold them in the water forever.
- Begin by placing 1-2 Tbsp of filling to the side of the center of the rice paper. Begin to roll up from that same side. At about half way, fold in the sides. Finish rolling as tightly as you can.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush with some olive oil.
- Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes until golden and crispy. Enjoy!