Dreaming of summer over here as the weather turns warmer (it’s a balmy 40F this week). This is what we like to call our first fake spring in Minnesota and if you haven’t figured out why we are moving to Hawaii, that’s your first clue. Either way, when it’s not quite warm enough to start grilling chicken kabobs (our neighbors did though… in the snow), it’s a perfect time for an easy healthy chicken salad recipe with Greek yogurt. This recipe is such a good spring time, “I can taste the sunshine,” meal especially if you pair with some fresh strawberries.
Can you use plain Greek yogurt instead of mayo in your healthy chicken salad recipe?
Short and simple answer, yes! Definitely try substituting some plain Greek yogurt for things like mayonnaise and/or sour cream.
We use plain Greek yogurt a substitute for sour cream on tacos and burritos, as our favorite topping on our Healthy Beef Chili Recipe or our White Chicken Chili. We also use it as a substitute for mayo on a lot of things like this healthy chicken salad recipe.
It works so well because of the tangy flavor and the similar creamy consistency. Basically, instead of an absurd amount of mayo (yuck) or sour cream, some plain Greek yogurt in your chicken salad or other recipes gives you a boost of protein and probiotics along with a nice rich creamy flavor.
How do you keep chicken salad from getting watery?
Ok, no one wants a gross watery chicken salad making your bread soggy and your life suck. No one needs that. The best way to keep your chicken salad from getting watery is to serve it right away.
It’s those dang delicious veggies that cause the problems here. When they are all chopped up, they leak water into your chicken salad. So the longer it sits around waiting for you to either eat it up or push it to the way back of the fridge to be forgotten for months, the more watery it will get.
BUT, if you do want to save it and keep it in the fridge for a later date, you have a couple of options.
- Don’t add the veggies until you are ready to serve.
- If it got watery anyways, add another dollop or two of Greek yogurt to thicken it back up.
Let’s make this healthy chicken salad recipe with Greek yogurt and yummy spices!
Tag us on instagram @cradlekitchen and give us a rating and review right here in the comments! And don’t forget to pin and save it for next time 😉
If you love this recipe, be sure to check out these drool worthy recipes too:
- Healthy Crock Pot Beef Chili
- Cajun Chicken Meatballs
- Watermelon Goat Cheese Salad
- Dairy Free Chicken Gyros
- 2-3 Chicken Breasts (cooked and shredded)
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 TBSP Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Onion Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 TBSP Honey
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Chopped Celery
- 2 shredded Carrots
- 1/3 cup Diced Yellow Onion
- Cook your chicken breasts all the way through. I normally do this on a pan on the stove over medium heat with a little bit of olive oil.
- Shred your chicken using 2 forks to pull apart the meat or you can also use an electric beater in a bowl.
- Once your chicken is all shredded, add your spices, Greek yogurt, and honey and mix well.
- Add your diced veggies in when you are ready to serve and mix up well.
- Serve on sandwiches or lettuce wraps and add some sliced strawberries for a little something extra. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 211Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 738mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 32g