Crepes are such a classic nice and fancy breakfast option. They may seem difficult to make but they are actually very simple and easy in this savory crepes recipe. While you can make them sweet with fruits and chocolates, this recipe has smoked salmon and cream cheese as it’s stuffing and it is so so good! Move over nutella stuffed crepes.
French Savory Crepes Recipe
A savory crepe is more of a dinner crepe to me but honestly I’d also eat sweet crepes for dinner. I would obviously eat any and all crepes for breakfast as well. They’re crepes- they’re wonderful, dreamy thin French pancakes that you can stuff your favorite flavors into. What’s not to love?
There are a lot of different savory crepe recipes out there- chicken and garlic, spinach and mushrooms… etc. The delicious list goes on and on and don’t worry we will be testing those recipes and writing them up probably always. But for now let’s talk smoked salmon, because YAS.
How to make Crepes
Making crepes is not as difficult as it sounds. Starting with a big mixing bowl, combine all of your ingredents. For this particular recipe, mix in your fresh chopped rosemary as well.
The best practice with making crepes if you have the time, is to chill the batter in the fridge over night to really get those air bubbles out. If you don’t have that time (I almost never do, don’t worry), tap the bottom of the bowl a few times firmly on the counter to try to dislodge those air bubbles yourself.
Heat your non-stick skillet over medium-low heat with a little bit of butter melting on the pan.
Cooking and Flipping
- Hold the pan off the heat and pour a quarter cup of batter onto one side of the pan.
- Begin to swirl the batter around the hot pan until the entire bottom is coated.
- Place the pan back on the heat and let it cook for about a minute or two.
- Flip gently and cook again for about a minute.
- Take off the heat and begin to fill.
Filling your Savory Crepes
Once you’ve made your crepes like a boss, spread a thin layer of cream cheese (you can also use mayo if you’re dairy free- tastes great still) on the inside of your crepe. Add some chopped chives and some onion salt on the cream cheese spread next. Layer smoked salmon right down the middle. Sprinkle with a little wedge of lemon juice and fold the crepe over the filling.
Invite people over for brunch, lunch, or dinner, and show of your French skills you cool cat 😉
Keeping and Reheating Crepes
If you manage to have any left over crepes, keep them covered and chilled in the fridge. When you are ready to reheat them, the best way to do this is in a pan over low heat until they are nice and warm again.
If you love this recipe, you’ll love our Dutch Baby Pancake recipe. Talk about an easy delicious sweet or savory meal 😉 Or try out our Extra Fluffy Pancakes. YUM! You can never have too many pancakes in my opinion.
If you do make this, be sure to show us by tagging us on instagram @cradlekitchen or give us a rating and review right here in the comments! We love to see what you’ve made! And don’t forget to pin and save it for next time 😉
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Melted Butter
- 2-3 Tbsp Fresh chopped Rosemary
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Smoked Salmon
- Cream Cheese
- Fresh chopped chives
- Onion Salt
- Lemon Wedge
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for the crepes and mix well.
- Cover and chill over night. If you can't do that, make sure to gently but firmly tap the bottom of the bowl on the counter to get the extra air bubbles out of the batter.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-low heat with some melted butter to coat the bottom.
- Pick pan up off the heat and scoop 1/4 cup of batter onto 1 side of the pan. Swirl the batter around to coat the whole bottom and place back on the heat.
- Cook for about a minute (maybe a little longer) until it has firmed up. Flip and cook other side for about a minute as well until golden.
- Once your crepes are made and your ready to fill, start out by spreading a thin layer of cream cheese on the inside.
- Sprinkle your fresh chopped chives and onion salt on to taste, and layer the smoked salmon on top down the middle.
- Squeeze a fresh lemon wedge over the top and fold it all up. Enjoy this delicious savory crepe 🙂