Oh man, this skillet dutch baby recipe is one of our favorite recipes as a family, but it is definitely my favorite recipe as a mom. I make this for every special occasion and even sometimes when we just need a treat on weekends. It is so simple and easy to make and no one has to be in the kitchen all morning to make it. Make it while the coffee is brewing!
This skillet Dutch baby or German pancake, is sort of like a souffle and sort of like an omelette. It gets a ton of air mixed into it from the blender which helps it to rise up like a pancake cloud in the oven. This is also why it will make a difference if your eggs are room temperature or not. Just leave them out on the counter over night and you’re good to go in the morning.
All you have to do is turn on the oven, let the butter melt in the pan while you blend the ingredients together, and then place it all back into the oven to get super fluffy and delicious.
This post may contain affiliate links at no cost to you! They just help to keep the sight running and delivering free content. Thanks!
Cast Iron Skillet:
We make ours in our AWESOME cast iron skillet. Seriously, amazing tool. If there was one kitchen tool I couldn’t live without, I think it would be my cast iron skillet. I use it for everything from baking bread and desserts to braising short ribs and frying chicken. It is so great and I highly recommend getting one if you don’t already have one.
Benefits of cooking in Cast Iron:
- Extra Flavor- cast iron is porous so it absorbs amazing flavor that gets into the rest of your foods.
- Naturally non-stick and won’t leech chemicals into foods. Healthier.
- Will leech Iron into the food which again makes it healthier as most people are deficient in Iron.
- So so versatile. Seriously, use that baby for everything.
We love powdered sugar on our skillet dutch baby, but anything tastes great on it. Try it with:
- Powdered sugar
- Our Strawberry Sauce
- Fresh or Dried Herbs
- Sauted Veggies
- Fried Egg
This is definitely a recipe to hold onto!
If you do make this, be sure to show us by tagging us on instagram @cradlekitchen or give us a rating and review right here in the comments! We love to see what you’ve made! And don’t forget to pin and save it for next time 😉
If you love this recipe, try out our Waffles and Strawberry Sauce next!
- 6 Eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup Milk, See Notes for Dairy Free
- 1 cup Flour, See Notes for Gluten Free
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 4 TBSP Butter, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 425.
- Place all ingredients (EXCEPT butter) into a blender and process until smooth.
- Place the butter onto a cast iron skillet and place in the oven to heat up and melt butter.
- Once butter is melted, pour batter into the skillet and bake for 20-25min until the pancake is large and fluffy.
- Top with powdered sugar, syrup, almond butter, jam, lemon... anything that sounds the best to you and enjoy!
This recipe can be made gluten free by substituting Bob's Red Mill 1-1 Ratio Gluten Free Flour. It can also be made Dairy Free by substituting Almond Milk or Oat Milk. You can do both substitutions at the same time too!